Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Creamy Pumpkin Dip

Wheatlessness has become more like Less Wheat around here. I've cut back dramatically. With varying results. Being the experimenter that I am, I randomly try a wheat laden food item, mentally record the results and mark it off my list. Surprisingly, I don't have a physical lab notebook or list. Yet.

So far, I've decided that I should not eat most things containing wheat. However, very small quantities -- bread crumbs in meatballs, for example -- seem to be alright. I even ate two chocolate chip cookies the other night. I would have eaten them anyway, that lady makes the best chocolate chip cookies EVER.

I am still adapting recipes and adopting others. I made some banana nut bread the other night that was pretty awesome, but it turned out a little flat and a little burned. I suspect that it was because my otherwise multi-talented broiler-oven is incapable of cooking two items requiring different temperatures. Really, what was I thinking? So the next time I have some almost rotten bananas, I'll try again. Baking one thing at a time.

In the meantime, here is the recipe for Creamy Pumpkin Dip. I whipped this up last year after an attempt at a Slow-Cooker Pumpkin Cheese Cake. The Cheese Cake was a flop, but the dip that I made with the leftover pumpkin was a hit at my son's preschool. Enjoy!

Creamy Pumpkin Dip

8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 can 100% pure pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon  nutmeg

In a medium bowl, cream together sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Add sour cream, pumpkin and spices. Mix well.

It's delicious served with with graham crackers sticks and even better with gingersnaps. For those of you who prefer gluten-free, try Gluten-Free Girl's gingersnaps recipe.

1 comment:

Kay said...

So that pumpkin dip sounds out of this world. I am sorry you are having to deal with having a wheat issue. It's so funny how people develop food allergies/intolerance later in life. I've heard so many people have issues with wheat.