Friday, November 5, 2010

Wheat Free Pumpkin Yummies

I adapted this recipe from one I found at Libby's Pumpkin. I halved the recipe and used cream cheese frosting from a can. I also made some other adjustments typical of my Recipes are Only Guidelines Philosophy. Please note that these cookies are not gluten free because I used rye flour.












Wheat Free Pumpkin Yummies

1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 can (15 oz.) Pumpkin Puree*
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



*1/2 of a 15 oz. can is 1 cup minus 2 Tablespoons. I just eyeball it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger in a medium bowl. Beat shortening and granulated sugar in a large mixer bowl for 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract; beat until blended. Gradually add flour mixture into pumpkin mixture at low speed until combined. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; removed to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies. (I didn't get an exact count. They were disappearing off the wire rack right before my very eyes.)

As always, I hope you and your family enjoy these as much as we did. I took a plate of them to school for the teachers at the Preschool. They all thanked me for them, so maybe he'll get good grades on his report card!

1 comment:

Erin said...

MMmmmmm. I made some pumpkin cookies the other day, they had wheat, but they had home ground whole wheat!

Hey thought of something I saw the other day, and maybe you already knew this...hamburgers...Rachael Ray made burgers one time using portabella mushroom caps instead of buns...just throwing that out there for ya. Sounds better than buns anyway!