Thursday, March 3, 2011

Onion-Jalapeno Frittata (for one)

I'm not usually one of those people that forget to eat. I love to eat. I even like to plan menus. I could be part Hobbit. So, I don't know if it's the weather or just the sleeping late, but all this week, I have forgotten to eat breakfast. Almost.

I find myself searching through the cabinets eyeing that half crushed star crunch that has been up there way too long wondering why I am so hungry. Duh! Coffee wears off at ten o'clock.

Because I avoid eating wheat and like to start my day off with a high protein meal (after the coffee, of course), this is one of my favorite breakfasts (or brunches as the case may be). I am also marvelously inept at producing a decent omelet. I love the steaming ham and melted cheese oozing out all over the plate just waiting to be scooped up and popped into my mouth. Mmmmmmmm.

So I have a cook-your-own omelet alternative. It's very simple and a whole lot easier to make than trying to flip an omelet while it is falling apart because you put so much filling in it. Put as much filling in this thing as you want 'cause this thing don't need no flippin'. You will, however, need an oven proof skillet or an 8" saute pan.

Modify this version by adding a handful of halved cherry tomatoes and a few sprigs of chopped cilantro for a Western, or leave out the pepper and throw in a quarter of a package of thawed and drained spinach, chopped mushrooms and top with Swiss cheese for a well, Spinach, Mushroom and Swiss. This is also a great way to use up extra veggies or deli meats and leftover baked potatoes.

Onion-Jalapeno Frittata (for one)

1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 c. chopped onion
2 Tbsp.  chopped jalapeno, seeded and deveined
Mesquite Smoked Deli Turkey (opt.)
Shredded cheese, your choice
2 eggs
1/4 c. milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

While you are doing that chop up your onions and peppers (and turkey). Saute onions and peppers in the olive oil until they begin to soften. I'd say that's roughly 4 minutes. While your peppers and onions are getting all happy, beat your eggs together with the milk until they are smooth and light yellow. 

Add your turkey to the peppers and onions. 

Stir that around until you can't stand waiting anymore. Your hungry because you forgot to eat, remember?

Turn the heat down slightly. Add the eggs to the vegetables. Cook the eggs on the stovetop unit the eggs begin to set and they start to get all nice and done on the very bottom. Not too done, though!

Hopefully by this time, your oven should be telling you that it's hot. Sprinkle the cheese around on top of the eggs. Then pop the whole thing, skillet and all, into the oven. Let it bake until the cheese melts and the eggs are done. This may vary depending on how long you cook them on the stove top. I usually let mine go for 15-20 minutes.


I totally linked that so you didn't think I made it up. It's real and traditionally served at 10:30.


1 comment:

Kay said...

This looks super yummy! I might have to give it a try one day. I'm not a huge egg fan but husband likes them so I might give it a whirl when I'm actually making him breakfast again!